The Daily Agenda for Saturday, October 8
October 8th, 2011
TODAY’S AGENDA (OURS):
First Openly Gay Ordination for the Presbyterian Church, USA: Madison, WI. Last May, the Presbyterian Church USA became the fourth mainline Protestant Church to allow the ordination of openly gay clergy. Today, that promise becomes a reality as Scott Anderson is ordained at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Madison, Wisconsin. The Princeton Theological Seminary graduate had served as Co-Moderator of More Light Presbyterians before moving to Madison to become the Executive Director of the Wisconsin Council of Churches.
Anderson’s ordination will mark his return to a ministry he was forced to abandon twenty-one years ago. In 1990, while working as a parish minister in Sacramento, he was threatened with exposure by a couple who wanted him to help raise money for a cause they were advancing that he disagreed with. Rather than submit to the couple’s threats, he outed himself instead, and in keeping with the church’s rules he stepped down as minister and embarked on the long process of working to change the church’s stance toward ordination of openly gay people. Anderson will be supported by his partner of twenty-one years at today’s ordination. Anderson is being ordained by the John Knox Presbytery, which consists of 60 congregations in Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
Also This Weekend: Iris Prize Film Festival, Cardiff, UK.
TODAY’S AGENDA (THEIRS):
Values Voter Summit: Washington, D.C. Whenever the Family “Research” Council and the American Family Association team up to put on their annual Values Voter Summit, you can pretty much guarantee that they will more than live up to their reputation for being on the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of anti-gay hate groups. Yesterday, we saw GOP presidential candidate Sen. Rick Santorum give his most bizarre qualification yet for the presidency, when he told the conference that voters should “look at who they lay down with at night and what they believe.” That will be hard to top, although Liberty Counsel’s Mat Staver gave it his best shot by saying that gay equality will lead to the destruction of Western Civilization.
Today’s lineup will be about as crazy as yesterday’s. The AFA’s Bryan Fischer, whose sheer lunacy knows no bounds, will be a featured speaker, along with FRC’s Tom McClusky and Tony Perkins, National Organization for Marriage’s Brian Brown, American Values’ Gary Bauer, AFA’s Ed Vitagliano, Alliance Defense Fund’s Alan Sears, Eagle Forum’s Phyllis Schlafly, Glenn Beck and Bishop Harry Jackson, among many others. GOP Presidential candidates speaking today will be Texas Rep. Ron Paul and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.
If you know of something that belongs on the agenda, please send it here. Don’t forget to include the basics: who, what, when, where, and URL (if available).
And feel free to consider this your open thread for the day. What’s happening in your world?
Do These Folks Agree With Cameron’s “Solution”
May 14th, 2007
Dr. Warren Throckmorton has also posted about Paul Cameron’s disturbing views expressed in Cameron’s article, “Gays in Nazi Germany.” Dr. Throckmorton concludes:
Suffice to say that Dr. Cameron is not simply ideologically opposed to homosexuality, he is fixated on “solutions” that I find abhorrent. I call on fellow social conservatives who still refer to the Camerons’ work to take a hard look at these posts and reflect on whether someone with such extreme animosity could possibly approach social science data with sufficient objectivity to be trusted.
I wonder how many of these individuals, organizations and publishers agree with Paul Cameron’s Solution for those who live “parasitic lives”?
E-mail me or leave a comment if you find someone who is using Cameron’s “science” and I’ll add them to the list.
American Family Association:
- Targeting Children, Part Four: Access to children: Homosexuality and Molestation — Ed Vitagliano, June 2001.
- Targeting Children, Part Three: Activists Encouraging Experimentation — Ed Vitagliano, May 2001.
- Homosexuality in America: Exposing the Myths (PDF: 299 KB/24 pages) — Robert G. Howe, 1994.
Americans For Truth:
- Study Shows “Gay Married” Lifespans Average 24 Years Shorter than Hetero Marrieds in Norway, Denmark — Peter LaBarbera, April 5, 2007.
- Canadian Research Suggests only 1.4% of Adults Homosexual — Peter LaBarera, March 27, 2007.
- Stanford Nurse Details Lethal Consequences of Engaging in Promiscuous Anal Intercourse — Kathleen Melonakos, Dec 2, 2006.
- Living In Truth: Unsure Of Your Sexuality? — unsigned, 2000
Concerned Women For America:
- Indianapolis Rejects Domestic Partner Benefit — Robert H. Knight, Aug 2, 2002
“The author of the bill was very articulate and tried to come after me for using a Paul Cameron study (although I did not cite him. I cited Adolescence journal).”
- ‘Sexual Orientation’ and American Culture — Robert H. Knight, July 10, 2002
Rosie and the Docs Peddle Bad Medicine (PDF: 62 KB/7 pages) — Robert H. Knight, May 2002.
- Pediatrics Academy Joins Crusade for ‘Gay Parenting’ — Robert H. Knight, Feb 7, 2002
Ears To Hear:
- Myths, Facts, and Consequences of the Homosexual Lifestyle — unsigned, April 30, 2007.
- Gay Identity and the Gay Rights Movement — Jason Park, 1996.
- Behavior (FAQ) — Jason Park, 1996.
- Why Am I Attracted to Men? — Jason Park, 1996.
Family Research Council:
- Homosexual Parenting: Placing Children at Risk — Timothy J. Dailey, undated.
International Healing Foundation (Richard Cohen):
- Changing From Gay To Straight Is Possible, Chapter 2: Definitions and Causes of Same-Sex Attractions — Richard Cohen, undated.
- Canadian Research Suggests only 1.4% of Adults Homosexual — Unsigned, March 27, 2007.
- Expert Research Finds Homosexuality More Dangerous Than Smoking — Unsigned, April 3, 2007.
- US Sexuality Survey Shows Gays 107% More Likely To Engage In Criminal Activities — “JJ,” June 13, 2005.
- Yet Another Study Confirms Gay Life Expectancy 20 Years Shorter — “JJ,” June 6, 2005.
- Same-Sex Parenting is Harmful to Children Says REAL Women of Canada — Unsigned, March 2004.
- The Case Against Same-Sex Marriage (Originally published in Crisis magazine) — Tim Leslie, January 2004.
- Homosexuals Declare War On Boy Scouts — Unsigned, August 23, 2000.
National Association for the Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH):
- Joseph Nicolosi e Linda Ames Nicolosi, OmosessualitÃ . Una Guida per i Genitori, (PDF: 174 KB/5 pages) (Italian: Joseph Nicolosi and Linda Ames Nicolosi. Homosexuality. A Guide for Parents) — Roberto Marchesini, October 2005.
- Conversion Therapy Revisited: Parameters and Rationale for Ethical Care — Christopher H. Rosik, Spring 2001.
- RevisiÃ³n de la Terapia Teparativa: ParÃ¡metros y Fundamento Para el Cuidado Ã‰tico (PDF: 280 KB/18 pages) (Spanish: Conversion Therapy Revisited: Parameters and Rationale for Ethical Care ) — Christopher H. Rosik, Spring 2001.
- Pediatrician Says Childhood Gender Identity Disorder Requires Treatment, Not Sex-Change Surgery — Ross Olson, undated (updated April 20, 2006).
- Father-son Relationships and Male Sexual Development — Gregory Dickson, undated (Updated Sept 30, 2002).
One News Now:
- LA Fertility Clinic Provides for Homosexual Parent Candidates — Ed Thomas, April 5, 2007.
- Attorney, Group Blast Bishops Over Sex Ed — Matt C. Abbott, August 21, 2005.
- Sometimes, Where There’s Smoke, There’s the Fired — Selwyn Duke, February 11, 2005
- Expert Research Finds Homosexuality More Dangerous Than Smoking — “David Virtue,” April 4, 2007.
- 1.4% of Adults Homosexual? — “David Virtue,” March 23, 2007.
Let me know if you find any others.
A Study in Holland
July 31st, 2006
There has been a noticeable increase in the number of visitors to this web site using search engines to learn more about the famous “Dutch Study.” I suspect the recent spike in visitors may have something to do with an article that appeared in the American Family Association’s AFA Journal this month. Ed Vitagliano notes that in countries and states where marriage or civil unions are allowed, the number of same-sex couples tying the knot is relatively low. Why do you suppose that is? Ed thinks he has the answer:
Even when they couple, homosexual relationships are relatively short-lived. A study of homosexual couples in Holland found that same-sex unions lasted an average of 18 months and included an average of eight additional sex partners outside the “monogamous” relationship.
Well we’ve been down this familiar road before. The AFA is relying on cooked statistics for this. This was a non-representative study based on AIDS patients who were all under the age of thirty. This is hardly a pool where you’d expect to find many couples celebrating their golden anniversaries. But these statistics have reached urban-legend status. You can read more about it in Straight From The Source: What the “Dutch Study” Really Says About Gay Couples.
The AFA thinks that the low number of same-sex couples getting hitched shows that gays aren’t really interested in marriage, but are only interested in advancing their nefarious plot to win “the cultural victory that legalized same-sex marriage would represent.” But as I said before, I think the answer is much simpler — and much more conservative and family-valued than that.